Colorado Springs Utilities Real-Time Energy Supply Trader in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Position Number: 800247
Posting Close Date: 10/27/16
Pay Range: $39.00 to $58.00
Job Type: Business Operations
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Please note: Actual starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education and training of the successful candidate.
Please note: All postings will close at 11:59pm on the Posting Close Date. Candidates must apply for the position prior to this date and time. If the Posting Close Date is blank, the position will remain open until filled.
Real Time Energy Supply Trader
This Real Time Energy Supply Trader position may be filled at the mid or senior level depending on candidate qualifications. The position is responsible for providing an efficient and reliable electric resource stack along with marketing excess capacity to other utilities and marketers. The resource stack includes owned-generation, contracts, and market transactions. Forecasting load and helping manage fuel supply for a diverse generation fleet while concurrently communicating with forward power trading, natural gas, coal, and transmission system operator (TSO) desks are also part of the real time trader’s responsibility. The position requires superb communication and relationship management skills for both internal and external customers. Clear, concise, professional communications and negotiations are essential. This is a value-driven position requiring constant review of the current alternatives to reduce cost while maintaining reliability. The incumbent is responsible for compliance with all regulatory and reliability standards and protocols, as well as supporting internal policies and protocols. This is a rotating shift position based on a 7/24 five person team.
Typical Responsibilities include:
- Works closely with the system operators and trading desks to establish an efficient and reliable hourly resource stack, responding to changes in load using least cost alternatives.
- Evaluates and monetizes surplus capacity positions utilizing the trader’s substantial understanding of financial analysis, changing market alternatives, and superior trading skills.
- Arranges for transmission and ancillary services associated with sales and purchases.
- Schedules energy transactions, supports settlements group with month-end close out.
- Responds confidently to changing load and supply situations which may require fast resolution.
- Develops and maintains outstanding relationships with multiple internal and external parties.
- Researches and adheres to industry regulations and practices, third party contract terms, and applicable tariffs.
- May provide leadership and mentoring to less experienced traders.
- Complies with the safety and health programs in support of incident and injury free workplace.
Why should you apply? Do you have high personal and professional standards with a reputation for excellence, drive, integrity and good decisions all while maintaining a sense of humor? Do you like working as part of a team of motivated individuals? Do you enjoy having significant personal responsibility in a dynamic environment with critical impacts on costs and reliable service? If you are an experienced energy trader seeking work-life balance in an environment where your efforts are rewarded by helping to maintain lower energy costs to the community you work, live and play in, then we would like to meet you!
What will it take to be successful? Most people will come with a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Engineering, or related field and related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience (a graduate degree is a plus). Additionally, you will demonstrate outstanding productivity in marketing, including negotiating beneficial energy transactions and be value-driven with the ability to make analytical decisions utilizing financial and mathematical skills. This job will require the ability to perform under stress in a dynamic environment and the willingness to engage in continuous process improvements. Experience with OATI and ETRM products beneficial.
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you…
- As a community-owned enterprise for over 100 years, we offer the stability of providing a required service and commodity for our community.
- We are a diverse team of professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community through new and innovative technologies.
- We understand employees have competing priorities. That is why we have created an environment which embraces teamwork and flexibility.
Join a diverse team of high performers who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community and tap into the power of your potential!
Colorado Springs Utilities is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. No person shall be unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or gender identity. Affirmative Action is Colorado Springs Utilities’ effort to ensure positive steps are taken to have a representative workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force.
If you cannot remember which email address you used for your login profile, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and phone number.
If you are an individual with a disability or disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling 719-668-7500. This option is reserved for individuals who are unable to use or require assistance with the online tools as the result of a disability and is not intended for other purposes.
E-Verify and Right to Work Notice:
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Colorado Springs Utilities participates in E-Verify. For more information on your rights and responsibilities as an applicant, please visit: http://coloradospringsutilities.jobs/applicants-rights-and-responsibilities/ .
If you have a legal right to work in the United States, there are laws to protect you against discrimination in the workplace. - You should know that no employer can deny you a job or fire you because of your national origin. Unless mandated by law or government contract, employers cannot require you to be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident or refuse any legally acceptable documents. If any of these things have happened to you, you may have a valid charge of discrimination that can be filed with the OSC. Contact the OSC for assistance in your own language. Call 1-800-255-7688. TDD for the hearing impaired is 1-800-237-2515. In the Washington, D.C., area, please call 202-616-5594, TDD 202-616-5525 Or write to: U.S. Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel - NYA 950 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20530.