Recipient of the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award and the State of Colorado Pro Patria award, Colorado Springs Utilities walks the talk when it comes to demonstrating its commitment to our military service men and women. Our commitment includes:
Military Leave of Absence and Employee Deployment Support
- We keep employees informed of promotional job opportunities during their deployment.
- We assist deployed employees with the application process for promotional opportunities.
- We freeze openings allowing those deployed the opportunity to interview and will delay their start until the employee returns.
- We takes steps to ensure employees are kept whole during their deployment with respect to pay and benefits.
- We check-in with employees and their families during their deployment, often sending words of encouragement, cards and care packages.
- We celebrate the safe return of our employees and personally thank them for their service.
Colorado Springs Utilities works closely with our local military installations supporting those transitioning to civilian employment. This includes regularly participating on employer panels to provide assistance, coaching and mentoring to those transitioning from the military to civilian employment. Activities included in our Deployment-2-Employment program include:
- Supporting the Colorado Springs Military & Veterans Employment Expo (MVEE) – one of the largest job fairs for veterans and military families in the state of Colorado
- Participating on Transition University Mentorship Panels (formerly known as the Transition Assistance Program) where attendees learn about job searches, career decision-making, current occupational and labor market conditions resume and cover letter preparation, as well as interviewing techniques.
- Attending Military-focused career fairs in our community
- Advertizing our talent needs with our Veteran Referral Network which includes community partners and professional connections and include the Department of Veterans Affairs, Military Officer Association of America, Colorado Springs Veterans, the Colorado MVS (Military, Veterans, and Spouses) Employment Coalition, and a growing list of additional contacts.